Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great

The book of Joel prophesies that God will raise up an end-time army, and they will prophesy, dream dreams and see visions. They will destroy much of Satan's work before the Antichrist finally arises, restore hope in the power of God, and usher in the end-time harvest. In preparation, this community is designed to be a home for everyone called to be part of that army, and fulfill His end-time work.

Kathryn Kuhlman, And The Spirits Of Covetousness

Hidden In Him

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2024
Kathryn Kuhlman, And The Spirits Of Covetousness

image_659c86be2a68a.jpg

Four years ago, a woman posted the following on a Christian forum. At first I didn't make much of it, since she was asking in particular about experiencing paralysis in dreams. But then I began to study the dream itself and realized it contained a warning: Servants of God, especially those who have the potential to reach many, need to be very careful about being overcome by the spirits of greed and covetousness. It is alive and well in the church today, and those who serve Him must guard against one of Satan's most deceitful seductions.

The dream was posted as follows:

Kuhlman & The Black Dragons Dream

Last night I had a dream that had Kathryn Kuhlman in it, who I hardly ever think about. Having spent time in those kinds of circles (charismatic) I personally suspect she may have been a bit dodgy. At first, I saw something spiritual falling upon her, making her smile and happy Then those spirits started falling upon other people as well. But then they started coming out of her mouth, and they were not good. The dream became the stuff of scary, horror type movies. Then it changed to where the spirits were in my room, and they were little black dragons coming at me. To the first two, I said "Leave in Jesus Name," and they exploded like in a computer game and were gone. At this, I started enjoying it and was waiting for the next one to do the same, but with the third little black dragon I couldn't say Jesus Name and I couldn't move. I had to struggle a lot and tell it to leave in Jesus Name. With the fourth one I woke up then and I could move, but it was a weird, bad dream.

Kathryn Kuhlman was a famous televangelist of the 1950s and 60s, so I found the dream interesting. Led by the Spirit, I decided to do a little digging into dragons, and I found out they were notorious in folklore for hoarding up stores of treasure. As the Wiki states:

Dragons have long been portrayed in modern times as greedy treasure-hoarders, lusting for gold and precious gems. In such stories as Beowulf, the theft of such treasure sparks a dragon's fury... The most famous lindworm in Norse and Germanic mythology is Fafnir. The Germanic stories of lindworms have them guarding a treasure hoard. The lindworm Fafnir guarded earthen mounds full of ancient treasure. The treasure was cursed and brought ill to those who later possessed it... Iberian dragons are almost always evil, such as the Cuélebre, or Cuelebre, a giant winged serpent in the mythology of Asturias and Cantabria in the north of Spain. It usually lives in a cave, guards treasures and keeps nymph-like beings called xanas or anjanas as prisoners."
European dragon - Wikipedia

Germanic folklore is also where Tolkien appears to have gotten his inspiration for Smaug, the dragon who guarded the treasures of Erebor in the book The Hobbit. The most coveted part of that treasure was the Arkenstone, an extremely precious gem.

d3271245c7668d8a8e5bd8785c51b66a.jpg

When I researched into Kathryn Kuhlman, I found out she had a penchant for fine jewelry, but as the years went on it may have become more than just a passing interest. There were rumors she had became a hoarder of precious jewels, which eventually led to a financial scandal regarding her ministry at the end of her life.

As the Wiki states:

In 1975, Kuhlman was sued by Paul Bartholomew, her personal administrator, who claimed that she kept $1 million in jewelry and $1 million in fine art hidden away and sued her for $430,500 for breach of contract. Two former associates accused her in the lawsuit of diverting funds and of illegally removing records..."

According to another source, Bartholomew claimed that she had skimmed off money from collection plates and monthly donations by the faithful for decades, which is what eventually led to her amassing the large collection of art and fine jewelry.

Was Kathryn Kuhlman truly overcome by a spirit of covetousness, or was it just an empty accusation brought forth by a disgruntled former employee? She was dearly beloved by many, and we should not be swift to condemn those who profess faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. But I later received confirmation that there was likely something to the dream, because a few months later the same woman who posted it began asking the forum for advice about what to do with some rental properties, because she was going into arears for having over-extended herself. Her most recent purchase was turning into a financial black hole that was eating away at her finances.

I approached her about the dream again, and asked if the same spirits that seduced Kathryn Kuhlman might not also be attempting to seduce her, at which she became indignant and would no longer talk to me. But I took it as confirmation that the dream was indeed a warning, and not just to her but to all who would potentially serve the Lord. No matter how pure our intentions may be starting out, Satan can tempt us to greed and to hoarding up money, jewels, art, properties and anything else, should we be susceptible to being seduced by it. We must therefore remain vigilant in resisting such spirits, for if someone who had a calling to reach the whole world with the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ succumbed to such spirits, then anyone can.

The lesson of the dream, then, was similar to what the apostle Paul told the Corinthians when they were in danger of succumbing to earthly temptations as well. "Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall." (1 Corinthians 10:12)

"The words I speak to you, they are Spirit and they are Life."

Why did Jesus prophesy, heal the sick, raise the dead, and cast out demons? He performed signs and wonders to confirm the word (Mark 16:20), because it has the power to do more than just save from death. It has the power to grant eternal life (John 6:63). Scripture promises that He will confirm His word through signs and wonders once again (Joel 2:28), and what we teach may determine whether He does so through us or not, so study becomes extremely important. Please join us in studying verse by verse through entire books of the Bible. Understanding each verse in its theological and historical context as led by the Spirit is key to unlocking what the word actually teaches, and revealing what the Spirit is still speaking to the churches in these last days.

Back