Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great

The book of Joel prophesies that God will raise up an end-time army, and they will prophesy, dream dreams and see visions. They will destroy much of Satan's work before the Antichrist finally arises, restore hope in the power of God, and usher in the end-time harvest. In preparation, this community is designed to be a home for everyone called to be part of that army, and fulfill His end-time work.

1 Peter 1:6-9

Hidden In Him

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2024
Enduring The Refining Process, Through Supernatural Empowerment

gold_market_newmont-1024x555.jpg

Scripture teaches that Satan sometimes desires to sift believers like wheat, by subjecting us to all sorts of tests and trials. As was the case with Job, we can suffer financial set backs, physical illness, rejection, betrayal, and if allowed to by God, even the loss of loved ones. The New Testament church had to endure persecution, and it wasn't happening by accident. Evil spirits were inciting men to silence the testimony of the church, through violence when necessary. But such attacks prove the extent of our faith when we stand our ground and refuse to deny the Lord Jesus Christ, even in the face of potential martyrdom. Jesus once told Peter that Satan desired to sift him like wheat as well, and this was the subject matter Peter now began to address in his letter:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has given us birth again unto a living hope... In which you rejoice, if for a little while it is necessary at present, having been put to grief amid various trials, that the proving of your faith, much more precious than the gold which perishes and being proven out by fire, might be found unto praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom not having seen you love, upon whom not now beholding you believe, yet rejoice with inexpressible joy .... receiving the end of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:6-9)

The hardships believers have to endure are part of the refining process, a work the Lord allows for a purpose; to reveal just how deep our faith in Christ truly is, and then purify it even more, bringing us to the place where we trust Him with more of ourselves, and be worthy of even greater reward in eternity.

In the Parable of the Sower, however, Jesus talked about those who failed to endure this process but instead fell away during the times of persecution, not being able to withstand what He called "the heat of the day."

And He said to them… "The sower sows the word. And these are the seeds where the word is being sown by the pathway, and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word having been sown into them. And these in like manner are the seeds being sown upon the rocky ground, who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy, yet have no root in themselves but are temporary. Then, with affliction and persecution having arisen because of the word, immediately they are scandalized." (Mark 4:14-17)

Believers were scandalized (σκανδαλίζονται in the Greek) when they rejected Christ under "criminal" interrogation rather than face potentially being beaten or scourged, and some unfortunately were weakening and succumbing to the pressure and threats of the enemy. But what enables some believers to endure this refining process when others cannot? A close look at scripture reveals that those who survived great tests and trials bore one thing in common: Their faith in Christ was immense, despite what they were experiencing. The apostle Paul was clearly no exception, as he reminded the Corinthians in both his letters to them:

24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— 28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:24-28)

11 To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. 12 ... Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; 13 being defamed, we entreat. We have been made as the filth of the world, the offscouring of all things until now. (1 Corinthians 4:11-13)

So the question becomes, what strengthens our faith to be able to endure tests, trials and sufferings? Certainly Satan has not stopped attacking the faithful, and still has every intention of destroying our faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ if he can.

The Empowerment Of The Word

Paul taught that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word, and as Jesus likewise taught in the Parable of the Sower, it is the extent to which the word becomes deeply rooted within us that determines whether we can endure "the heat of the day" or not. Those within whom the word dwells richly can face opposition, whereas those in whom it does not cannot.

Jesus also taught that His words were "Spirit and Life," and Paul described the scriptures as being "God-breathed," which means that the word is supernatural, for it breathes the very Life of God into us to empower us unto all things, including enduring Satan's attacks. What some need to understand, however, is that this promise of the word breathing Life into us applies both to the written word and the prophetic word, as the following passage suggests:

12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it unto you." (John 16:12-14)

As Jesus said here, the Spirit would tell them of things to come, which is a reference to prophetic insight that would be coming through the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Some say this is no longer available to us today, but that is a false teaching. He is constantly revealing what is coming in the lives of His people when they are open to receiving it, whether it be through dreams, visions, prophecy or any other means of divine utterance. Even the prophecy given by Agabus to the apostle Paul brought life, for it supernaturally warned him of things to come so he would know prophetically what is coming in advance, and his faith in the power of God would be strengthened:

8 On the next day we who were Paul’s companions departed and came to Caesarea, and entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. 9 Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied. 10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’” (Acts 21:8-11)

The Empowerment Of Prophecy

Not only does the word of God itself strengthen our faith, but so do the supernatural gifts. Scripture teaches that signs and wonders are sent to confirm the word, which then bolsters and reinforces our faith in it all the more. Seeing God confirm His word through things like fulfilled prophecy, words of knowledge or other supernatural means causes us to be reminded all over again that He is real, that He knows the beginning and the end, and that His word is sure, and not merely the word of mere mortal men.

I wrote a piece on this recently. Having Him speak to us prophetically or speak supernaturally on our behalf through others greatly strengthens our faith. It has a way of letting us know yet again that the Lord is there, ahead of any situations that may be coming, and is guiding our steps so that we are prepared well in advance. The following is what I wrote concerning the ability to receive images in sleep which accurately predict events that will happen the next day:

I have grown accustomed to receiving prophetic insight on each coming day through the images God gives me during sleep. He also does so through dreams, but in this case these are usually just brief images upon the mind, yet it is uncanny how accurate they are and how consistently they will be fulfilled. Many times I know exactly what they mean, yet other times it will be a mystery. But sure enough, by the end of the day I know exactly what the images were referring to, and they are the Lord's way of letting me know in advance that He orders my steps and knows the beginning from the end even when I don't. Many times they are an encouragement that pleasant things are coming, or that things are better than they will appear. Even if they are warnings, He is showing me in advance that everything is in His control.

There are also full-blown dreams (given to either myself or friends) that forewarn of dangers or the promise of good things, and together I liken it to the life of an eagle. I once read a heavenly vision in which the eagle was a prophetic symbol, the reason being that the eagle can see for many miles. They know when storms are coming, and they can fly above it, away from danger. I believe this is one of the reasons why believers are sometimes compared to them in scripture. Those who put their hopes in Him operate on a different level from the world, and thus have no fear of coming things. Unless the Lord calls them to specifically go through a storm, they soar above it all, knowing the Lord is watching out over them at all times.

As Paul also taught, the ability to experience the outpouring or move in the gifts of the Spirit provide supernatural assurances that we were serving the True and Living God, not just a figment of our imagination, or some lifeless idol made of stone.

5 Our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance, even as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sakes.. and you turned to God from idols to serve the True and Living God, 10 and to wait for His Son from Heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come. (1 Thessalonians 1:5, 9-10)

Thus, supernatural confirmations are an important part of the Christian walk and should be preserved and sought after (1 Corinthians 12:29, 14:1), for they all the more empower us to endure the refining process that Satan will sometimes put us through, should it be allowed by God to take place.

Questions & Applications

1. Describe ways in which the written word has strengthened you in enduring the refining process in your life, and the refining of your faith.

2. If possible, name some supernatural things that have happened to you, and how they have come back to your memory during times of testings and trials.

3. Do you think you could endure the refining of your faith to the extent that the apostle Paul had to, or like many of the New Testament saints did, or even like Job? (Note: This is a question to help you see where your faith is at present in comparison with the great characters of the Bible).

Thread referenced in the study:

"The words I speak to you, they are Spirit and they are Life."

Why did Jesus prophesy, heal the sick, raise the dead, and cast out demons? He performed signs and wonders to confirm the word (Mark 16:20), because it has the power to do more than just save from death. It has the power to grant eternal life (John 6:63). Scripture promises that He will confirm His word through signs and wonders once again (Joel 2:28), and what we teach may determine whether He does so through us or not, so study becomes extremely important. Please join us in studying verse by verse through entire books of the Bible. Understanding each verse in its theological and historical context as led by the Spirit is key to unlocking what the word actually teaches, and revealing what the Spirit is still speaking to the churches in these last days.

Back